About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old Senior in college majoring in Biology/Zoology. I love just about anything to do with nature, and I also love to read. If you want to know more about me, you'll just have to talk to me. Also, I'm taken, so no hitting on me.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Proposal

 It was a perfect day for a date. The sun shone brightly, drying the soaked clothes of passing families while a soft breeze cooled those sweating from all the walking. Delighted screams filled the park, accompanied by vendors advertising their booths. Smells mingled as they drifted through the air, creating a mixed aroma of hot dogs, funnel cakes, pretzels, and cotton candy.

A young couple perched on a small concrete wall, hand-in-hand. The girl looked over at the one who held her, looking deep in thought as he stared as his shoes. Her heart fluttered when he looked up at her, loving the way the light shone in his hazel eyes. She smiled adoringly at him. His answering smile made her heart flutter all the more, as it always did. She gave his hand a soft squeeze. “Hi, there,” she said softly. “Hi,” was his reply, the voice she loved to hear sounding slightly shaky.

To her delight, he leaned in to press his lips softly to hers. Her pulse raced even from that gentle kiss. She pouted a little when he stood up and stepped away. She didn't want to let go of his hand, sweaty or not. He cleared his throat and asked for the attention of the people walking around them. The girl raised an eyebrow in question, surprised at his boldness. A few people stopped mid-stride, looking at them quizzically. A small group gathered before the man continued, gesturing towards her. “This is my girlfriend,” he said with an affectionate smile that made her heart thump.

“We have been together for the last two years, coinciding with the best years of my life.” The girl began to blush. “Everyday I wake up to that smile, press my lips to it, and I am reminded that I am the luckiest man on the planet.” He caught her gaze, and she was momentarily distracted, missing his next few words. "Granted she and I have been through some difficult times, as all relationships do, but even our constant perseverance doesn't seem like enough for her to really grasp how much I love her." He turned to address the crowd "So here we are today, enjoying the wonderful weather much like you and your families." Turning back to her, he continued, "And what better place?"

The girl was blushing fiercely as he walked back to her. Once again, her pulse sped as he leaned down to kiss her. She bit her lip when he pulled away, a little lightheaded, and bit down with more force when she saw him kneel down. It felt as though her heart would burst from her chest before he even started speaking. “You, my angel, are my entire world. You invade my thoughts as I lay in bed at night, during my dreams, and you're still there in the morning and over the course of the day. There is nothing I want more than to show you just how much you mean to me. And just how much I want to be with you forever. And that better way to show it than with this?” The man pulled a ring from his pocket, holding it up to her as tears pricked her eyes. She knew what he was going to ask. Four words she had been yearning to hear for so long. With more tenderness than she could bear, he asked, “Will you marry me?”

The tears rolled freely down her cheeks; cheeks that were starting to smart from smiling so much. She took a deep breath, stilling the tears for a moment and spoke softly. “I could not have picked a better man to be with. For two years, you have shown me in every way possible what true love is. You are kind, strong, loving, and everything else I could ever want in a man. Thoughts of you are always on my mind, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I am the most at peace I have ever been when I am wrapped in your arms. You're unconditional love has helped me through so much.” At this, she gently placed her hand on the man's cheek, fresh tears flowing. “So yes,” the young woman choked out. “Yes, I will marry you.”

The man's glowing smile would have made her heart stop were it not already bursting with joy. He slipped the ring on the third finger of her left hand, his own shaking. Once it was in place, he stood up and pulled her to him. Then, in front of the applauding onlookers, they shared a kiss, knowing they would have many more to come as husband and wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment