About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old Senior in college majoring in Biology/Zoology. I love just about anything to do with nature, and I also love to read. If you want to know more about me, you'll just have to talk to me. Also, I'm taken, so no hitting on me.

Friday, August 27, 2010

My Dear Lady Timber

My Dear Lady Timber


She is young and she is old.
She has always been there for me, ever changing with the seasons.
Here comes Sir Spring, riding on Sun’s rays to shower her with gifts.


First he gives her a light gown of flowers and fruit.
Then he places a waving veil of grass and leaves upon her head.
She rejoices, dancing with Wind’s cheery song.
All her children come out to greet her, all furry, feathery, and scaly.
She’s ecstatic as she enjoys their company.
Then here comes Summer.


He dries her veil and stomps her dress, but she won’t bend.
It will take more than heat to wither her heart.
But Summer’s passing has aged Lady Timber.
Yet, still her will is strong, for Summer has no strength to defy her.
He moves on to make way for Timber’s next visitor, Fall.


He brings a chill and a new gown spun with gold and copper leaves.
But not even the rain he showers on her can restore her form.
So she has aged still more, but she isn’t ready to give up.
She says good-bye as Winter arrives to greet her.


He presents her with a new gift: a blanket of soft fluff to cover her nakedness.
His gift comes with a price that costs Timber the rest of her youth.
She is old and withered now, and as barren as the moon.
And all her children are grown and deep in sleep
Still, she is very beautiful, as elderly women often are.


Her heart leaps as Sir Spring arrives once again
She bursts out of her gloom and is a young maiden once more.
And so continues the cycle that gives her strength, then takes it back.
It has been this way since I met her, though she intimidated me at first.
I feared her treacherous trails and deadly children, and I dared not visit
her while Summer was around.


Her peaceful melodies, like the rustle of her leaves or Wind’s cheery song, 
can always calm me when I’m upset.
She reveals her secrets to me, but I have given up much time to earn them.
She may be cold and heartless in Winter’s company, but I’ve learned to see
the young maiden underneath.
How could I know such a lovely goddess, you ask?
All I have to do is walk out my door, and there she stands to greet me


My dear Lady Timber

No comments:

Post a Comment